PUERTO PRINCESA / PALAWAN / PHILIPPINES — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it is validating the United States Embassy’s “credible information” that terrorists are planning to kidnap foreigners in Palawan province.
“The PNP is validating all information,” PNP spokesman Senior Superintendent Dionardo Carlos told GMA News Online.
Carlos assured that the PNP will “take necessary precautionary and security measures” if the information is verified.
The US Embassy issued a travel warning on Palawan province, including Puerto Princesa City and “areas surrounding the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park.”
The embassies of United Kingdom and Canada relayed the US Embassy’s travel advisory to its citizens.
PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa had previously confirmed the US Embassy’s April 9 advisory, where it cautioned its citizens against pushing through with their planned trips to Central Visayas, particularly in Bohol and Cebu, due to threats of kidnapping by a terror group.
Two days after the US Embassy issued the travel warning, a group led by Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Muammar Askali slipped into Bohol.
The bandits’ presence was immediately detected by police and military forces. Askali and several members of his group were killed by the military in separate clashes.
The military said its troops are hunting down two more Abu Sayyaf members in Bohol.
Source: GMA News Online